Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:23 pm   Post subject: Narration Editor Audio not protected

I really WANT to switch from Articulate but am encountering some niggling glitches with iSpring 6.

Our online school uses in-class audio recordings as a basis for the presentation of our online courses. We need to protect our content (especially the audio) so we select all-in-one swf, have set domain limits and specify NOT to detach audio from the swf.

However, I have found that if I import the audio commentary into Narration editor and publish, the slide soundtracks are stored as separate (and unprotected) mp3 files in the data subdirectory. This is even though I selected not to detach audio in the advanced tab.

These mp3 files can be called up directly just by looking at the cache entry and then saved directly. This is a major hole in iSpring's touted content protection.

However, if the sound files are imported directly into powerpoint, they are bundled up into the generated .swf file and as such are not easily accessible. However then you lose the advantage of the Narration Editor. I say "advantage" but unfortunately the bugs described here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2459

are a problem for me too and it makes the Narration Editor more a hindrance than a help.

Kind of makes me wonder what the point is of using the new narration editor if it causes such a big hole in iSpring's content protection and much frustration with the sync issues reported above.

Is there a plan to fix this soon? I am still going to try really hard to make the switch from articulate but these fixes would make the job so much easier!

Thanks,

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:44 am   Post subject: Re: Narration Editor Audio not protected

G'day!

Just another thought on the sound files issue: Articulate "wraps" the sound data in swf format which at least makes collecting the data just that little bit more trouble. Would it be possible for iSpring to do the same but with the kind of domain protection you already have available for the main swf?

I know these protections can always be fooled (and let's face it, they could always just record the audio output directly from their PC) but the administrator was not impressed to see these raw mp3 files available in the cache just waiting for harvesting.

Is the best solution in the meantime to just embed the audio in the PPT file if some extra obfuscation is required?

Cheers and thanks for your help,

Rich

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:38 pm   Post subject: Re: Narration Editor Audio not protected

Thank you for posting here, we answered you in person via email.

Profile profile test