Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:52 pm   Post subject: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

Hello,
Does anyone have a detailed guide, with steps, on how to do this? I have seen the guides, but need something more in-depth.
Also, is it possible to send results to the server and then send the results to an email based on specific input? For example, if a student inputs their instructor name on the home screen, their results will be sent to that person.

Thanks,
Stacy

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:50 pm   Post subject: Re: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

Thank you for posting here!

Actually we do not have a step-by-step instruction on how you can adjust your server to receive the results, sorry about that.
iSpring QuizMaker 7 sends results with the POST request method. However, how server will parse and process the received .XML document should be adjusted on your side.
At the same time, please note that some variables were changed and can be found in the quiz taker info customization window:
http://www.ispringsolutions.com/help/7/ ... _form.html

Anyway, it should be noted that we can provide you with a sample-script for the 7th version, but it is a service that should be paid ($97).
The reason of why we do not have this script published is that each server can have its peculiarities and it is rather difficult to have an already-made script on every case.

Thank you for your understanding.

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:00 pm   Post subject: Re: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

Thank you.
So, for $97, someone can help me with this set up?

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:12 pm   Post subject: Re: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

Thank you for your swift reply!

For $97 we provide you with a PHP sample-script, however, the server adjustment should be done by someone from IT dep. who is in charge of the server maintenance.

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:39 pm   Post subject: Re: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

Ok, thank you for clarifying.
I am a bit confused about the additional fee, though, as I have already purchased the software.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:48 am   Post subject: Re: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

I totally understand your concerns and every iSpring product with its price indeed, provides full functionality. You can email results and publish in SCORM to have results saved automatically in an LMS. The option of sending results is considered as an extra option.

All additional scripts and services (like a hosting plan) are not included in the price of our desktop products. As I mentioned earlier, every project may have its own configuration and each case require personal approach.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:05 pm   Post subject: Re: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

Vladimir wrote:
I totally understand your concerns and every iSpring product with its price indeed, provides full functionality. You can email results and publish in SCORM to have results saved automatically in an LMS. The option of sending results is considered as an extra option.

All additional scripts and services (like a hosting plan) are not included in the price of our desktop products. As I mentioned earlier, every project may have its own configuration and each case require personal approach.

I'm stunned at the above statement Vladimir. I'm one of those that purchased this produce via work some time ago (on release of v7) and as part of the feature / package you had ability to send results to server and there is/was a web page where you could download the example php file to xml.

Not being coding minded I've asked many times if iSpring could package a better example as it was a selling feature. But now we're hearing above its not a feature of the package you buy, you need to pay a further $97 and even them its only an example.

So when I first purchased and the product claimed to be able to send results to server, I never seen in small print, only if you code it all on your own or pay us for a "example"

I've asked in past for better example of the following:

php file to enter into iSpring that can: output to sql DB
sql dump file to upload basic structure into DB
html file to display results from sql DB

So does this "new" $97 extra charge give this or is the $97 charge for a better solution than the one on another spring webpage (http://www.ispringsolutions.com/article ... erver.html)

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:04 pm   Post subject: Re: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

@DaveG thank you for your feedback! iSpring QuizMaker version 6 indeed, had a PHP server sample script freely available on our website in KB. It raised a lot of questions though. Most of these questions were not related to iSpring products functionality (to server config, POST results etc.) and were not covered by free support.

Therefore, we decided to create more sophisticated PHP sample and sell it keeping in mind additonal load on our support team.

You are welcome, based on above mentioned QM 6 sample, create your own parsing script for free. Additional support as well as parts of the script can be negotiated with our support/sales team directly. Please contact support@ispringsolutions.com or sales@ispringsolutions.com or call 800 640 0868.

BTW, we can send you an updated XML schema because the old one is not up to date.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

Thanks for the information.

But I did not come onboard until version 7, and support were directing me to that as "the" method of sending results to server. At no time since v7 release has anyone said about the v7 example costing extra until I read you post above. In fact it does not say in the product features pages that "Receive quiz results on a server" is going to cost extra for the "example file", not even a solution, just an example.

If you're going to change extra for an advertised feature, make it clear up front that it will cost extra and its only an example files.

Search back since I join forum (when purchased) you'll find I've been asking on this topic and no staff have said anything...

Feel very let down on this topic, sorry...

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:51 pm   Post subject: Re: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

Hello Dave! My name is Mikhail and I have been with the company for several years working in tech support. I believe I can be of assistance in this situation.

Our decision to offer extra capabilities for professional developers was a calculated one. Many of our competitors offer no such functionality, preferring to focus on the instructor-side authoring market. However, we decided to include these extra options so that our tools could be used in a much wider range of applications.
The consequence of this decision, however, is that our clients must possess specialized technical knowledge to take advantage of these extra capabilities (or have technicians who possess the necessary qualifications).

To summarize what has been said above:
1. If your organization has already made the investment of hiring someone with the necessary qualifications, these extra capabilities in our products can be harnessed at no extra cost.
2. If no such person exists within your organization, you can purchase consulting services and obtain this script which our own developers have written, along with documentation on how to deploy and use it.

This functionality is already fully accessible in the iSpring product that you have purchased, but the cost doesn't cover extra development that is necessary if you are going to create your own tracking system. We decided to design this as an extra optional purchase, because the majority of our customers have no need for such specialized applications, so we did not include it in the base price of the software.

Let me ask you a survey question: how would you suggest we make it absolutely clear to the end user so that he or she will understand these additional costs of development? Perhaps the QuizMaker user interface may alert you with a pop-up tooltip at the field where you would enter the server URL. Something like the following:
"This option requires your own server, plus additional development costs."

Thank you for your feedback again and we appreciate your suggestions.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:13 pm   Post subject: Re: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

Mikhall,

I think the issue maybe I was directed to that v6 page and it was not explained it was for v6 only and that v7 had different file but they would cost extra.

Fully understand that the end user will have to tweak example files to match their system, but why has version 7 example files not been published, like version 6, without it stating clearly it would be at extra cost.

I know the extra cost cover also consulting, not sure what for but understand that.

As for the question. Within the product features page on the website, if any of those features listed require additional expense, then it should be clearly marked. Maybe a simple * and then below feature list, * = extra cost maybe involve to use these features.
At the moment, looking at the feature list, I'd expect all the Key Features to be part of the package I'm purchasing.
http://www.ispringsolutions.com/ispring ... tures.html

Mikhail, I'm okay, just a little disgruntled that its taking me so long to get an answer to the topic I've been asking since day one of purchase, and during that time, sent on what looks like wrong direction to files that were for free v6, with v7 files being extra cost.
I'm no coder and as such in the past have asked for better example files to pull via php, drop data into sql db and display on html page. These could be basic example files that people change key field (db name, password, path etc) and are able to at least capture the results locally.

Thanks for the replies to both you Mikhail & Vladimir. The product I like, just sham on this part.

Cheers
Dave

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:17 pm   Post subject: Re: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

Hello Dave,
Thank you for your patience on this matter!
Please follow the link below to find a sample script for the 7th version of iSpring QuizMaker:
https://github.com/ispringsolutions/QuizResults

I believe you find these material useful.

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:37 pm   Post subject: Re: Quizmaker 7 - Send results to server

Hi Vladimir,

Many thanks for reply, will review them very soon, currently away for couple of days, but looking forward to checking them out on my return.

Thanks again
Dave

Profile profile test