Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:22 am   Post subject: Renaming PowerPoint removes all media resources

What is the best way to rename a PowerPoint slide.

It seems when I did this and went back into the newly named PowerPoint to change some of the narrations (imported video/audio files) the video and audio files where missing. I copy and pasted the files from the previously named folder and added the reference to the 'presentation.xml' file but even that doesn't work because the files just get deleted after I have closed the Narration screen and PowerPoint file.

Seems like I have to re-import the media files again and start from scratch with any editing as they are one file for the whole presentation rather than per slide.

Any ideas?

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:34 am   Post subject: Re: Renaming PowerPoint removes all media resources

oh slightly embarrassing but based on this doc http://www.ispringsolutions.com/article ... ation.html the answer to my question would be to use the 'Export' button to copy and rename a PowerPoint presentation.

True?

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:39 am   Post subject: Re: Renaming PowerPoint removes all media resources

Thank you for the post!
Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with the missing audio files.
We always try to inform our customers that it's not recommended to rename the original PPT file as the connection between the files can be lost.
You're totally right. The best option will be to Export the presentation via the corresponding iSpring option and make the changes to the copy of the file.
I hope this helps to avoid similar problem in future.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:43 am   Post subject: Re: Renaming PowerPoint removes all media resources

Thanks Julia for the quick response.

The renaming of the file is for version control so I wonder if the Export process can assist with the option to rename the original PP also.

I'd be surprised if other users haven't been caught out by this before.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:56 pm   Post subject: Re: Renaming PowerPoint removes all media resources

Thank you for the post!
We're going to release an article on our website on how to save the project files correctly and not to loose any of the embedded content.
There is no way to rename the presentation by using the Export option.
However, if you store all the exported project's files in one folder and try to rename the PPT file, the resources (quizzes, media files) should be automatically copied to a new folder with the same name as the presentation when the options Manage Narration or Quiz are selected.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:21 pm   Post subject: Re: Renaming PowerPoint removes all media resources

Thanks Julie

Yes the exporting of resources worked better and changing the file name, folder name and ending the presentation.xml file to reflect these name changes ensured all the resources were still connected.

My suggestion is that an option to rename the file is included in the export option in future releases so the above process is easier.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:46 pm   Post subject: Re: Renaming PowerPoint removes all media resources

Thank you for letting me know!
I am glad to hear that the Export option worked for you.
This option allows you to change the name of the new folder where the presentation and the resources folder will be saved.
I think it's not technically possible to allow iSpring change the name of the PowerPoint file.
However, I will definitely pass your request on to our Product Management team.

Profile profile test