Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:27 am   Post subject: Start over without setting "Incomplete"

Hi all,

I have a customer that wishes to give the users the ability continue or start the course over (Prompt to resume). This works fine.

However, they also want the user to be able to start the course over without overwriting their completion status. I.E. a user have attained "Completed" on a course. If the user later selects the option to start from the beginning, their status is set to "Incomplete". Is it possible to somehow NOT overwrite a a completion status of "Complete"?

I know this can be handled in some LMSes, but the customer's LMS does not have a "lock progression after complete" feature.

I have searched for an option regarding this in the program without luck, I have searched online, and I have looked at the code (lms.js) to see if I can find something regarding this. lms.js is minified, so it is somewhat hard to find anything there.

The customer is using iSpring Suite 7. I have also looked for it in Suite 8.

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Start over without setting "Incomplete"

@bard
Thank you for the question!
Most of LMS have an option to capture passing result and lock the completion status if the user makes another attempt. Some of them do it by default, in other ones it can be done after user's request (for example, as custom development). For example, in iSpring Learn LMS all atempts are captured, but only the best result goes to the final "Performance summary" report.
I'm sorry to say that this can not be configured in SCORM-packages. A learning course that you create with iSpring reports to LMS using standard SCORM values. But capturing scores in LMS depends on how the system handles these SCORM variables.
As a workaround, I would suggest that your customer enables a limited number of attempts for the course and adjusts it to "Always resume". With these settings if the the user passes the course, he will always come back to the final slide and will not restart the course accidentally ("cmi.success_status" will be set as "passed" after re-launching).

Hope that it can be on use!

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:00 am   Post subject: Re: Start over without setting "Incomplete"

Hi Lyubov.
Thank you for your reply. I will advice the customer that this is the best way to do it then.

Having programmed many Scorm packages myself, I was looking for a possibility to do something like this in the lms.js:

Code:
if(cmi.completion_status == "complete")
   {
       <Don´t reset completion status>
   };

But unless I can get an un-minified version of the lms.js file, I am not going to bother :-)

Have great day!

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:52 am   Post subject: Re: Start over without setting "Incomplete"

@bard
Thank you for the response!
I regret to say that JavaScript code in published presentations is obfuscated because of security concerns. That is why the best thing to do at this point is to configure this in LMS.
Have a nice day too!
Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

Profile profile test