Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:04 pm   Post subject: Presentation should only advance on hyperlinks

Hi,

I have just bought Ispring and I am now trying to produce my first course in it.

The course demonstrates how to use a software. Hence the presentation should ONLY advance if the user clikcs on the correct buttons in the presentation.
If the user presses anything but the e.g the "Enter"-button in the presentation nothing must happen, the presentation should remain on the same slide.
When the user presses the correct button the presentation should advance to another slide. I use hyperlinks to produce this effect in PPT.

But when I have converted the PPT in Ispring the hyperlinks does not work. The presentation advances regardless if I press the correct button or not. I get the little hand-symbol when I hold the cursor over the hyperlink so the hyperlink is active. But I can click anywhere on the screen and the presentation advances, and this is not correct.

How do I solve this problem?

Regards

Profile profile test

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:01 am   Post subject: Re: Presentation should only advance on hyperlinks

Alas, Aero, you appear to be correct. This may be another of a growing list of bugs in presenter. I set the slide to advance after 600 seconds in both PowerPoint and Presentation Explorer. It did not work. The slide advanced when I clicked.

There is some good news here. The external link didn't work when published locally but did work when I uploaded so your links will work when the project is uploaded.

Here is a crude workaround that I tried successfully. Create a transparent, empty text box that covers the entire slide. Set the text box so it links to itself. If your student clicks on the transparent text box the slide will reload (not advance). If the student clicks on the correct button the presentation will advance. If they click anywhere else, the invisible text box will reload the current slide.

If you have animations that you don't want to repeat, there is yet a cuter workaround. Create an identical but invisible non-animated slide and link to it. The duplicate slide reloads but the reload will not be visible. Use the invisible link in the duplicate slide to link to itself. Nobody will know the difference.

I put an invisible link on every slide so that a hand shows instead of an arrow. If you need any help let me know. I come to this forum every day to see if anything is happening. Unfortunately, not much is.

John

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:24 am   Post subject: Re: Presentation should only advance on hyperlinks

Hi, thanks for posting here.

Actually, there is a more simple workaround than creating invisible forms. The issue is that iSpring software has it's own tools for setting the navigation in the output FlashMovie. Thus is in PowerPoint slides are set to "Change automatically after **sec" but iSpring Pro/Presenter has the active option "Advance animations on mouse click", a viewer will be able to advance slides on mouse click anywhere on the Flash slide irrespectively of the PowerPoint settings.

So if you don't need a viewer to skip slides, please do the following:

open your presentation in PowerPoint --> iSpring tab --> Publish --> Playback and Navigation tab --> Playback Options area --> mark "Change all slides automatically" and "Auto-play on-click animations" --> Mouse and Keyboard Navigation area --> UNMARK "Advance animations on mouse click". You can also disable keyboard navigation or leave it active and choose particular buttons to go from slide to slide (just click "Customize" button).

As for the external links issue, this problem can occur if your browser has security restrictions which do not allow to open the pop-up windows, or the security restrictions of Flash player plug-in do not allow opening URLs from locally placed Flash files. Thus is the FlashMovie is uploaded to the Internet (to any web page or blog), indeed hyperlinks should work correctly.

To resolve the problem with locally placed SWF files you can change the FlashPlayer restrictions. To do this, please go to Adobe site:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... ger04.html

In the "Adobe Flash Player Settings Manager" window please click "Edit locations" --> choose "Add location" --> "Browse for files". After clicking Browse button please select the Flash file with problem slides.

I hope my answer was helpful.

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:54 pm   Post subject: Re: Presentation should only advance on hyperlinks

Hi John and Stacy,

Thanks for your responses,looks good. I just tried it breifly and it seems to work. Just wanted to chime in and say thanks!

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:18 am   Post subject: Re: Presentation should only advance on hyperlinks

That's pretty neat, Staci. I really like advancing the slide on mouse click but like the hand instead of an arrow. Also, I use some trigger functions to create flash cards and the advance on mouse click gets in the way. After your suggestion, here is a nifty solution.

On the navigation "Playback and Navigation" tab, I have only "Start Presentation Automatically" and "Resume Presentation" checked.

I overlay a transparent full screen textbox over each slide that I want to advance automatically. The overlay is linked to the next slide so all you have to do it copy it once and paste it many times.

On my trigger slides, I do not use the overlay and the student has to click on the right button to advance. This opens all kinds of opportunities for 1-screen scenarios. I am excited about the possibilities.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:59 pm   Post subject: Re: Presentation should only advance on hyperlinks

Thanks for your delicate idea. It can be the option when a student should be shown with a 'hand" where to click next to go forward, especially if a presentation contains both slides with trigger animations (buttons with hyperlinks) and without them.

Profile profile test