Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:01 am   Post subject: What's the Difference.

I am now narrating my slides. PowerPoint narration contains a hiss and is unsatisfactory. It may be my mike but I will forgo PPT for narration. Other methods are satisfactory.

Ispring creates a .wav file and seems to be good quality narration. I can't tell which file belongs to which slide.

Audacity also is of good quality and since I can name the file, I can put it where I like and can tell which slide it belongs to. I have hearing problems so I may be wrong but I can't tell any difference between wav and mp3. The mp3 takes up way less space.

Does anyone have any opinions about the best recording format. I am using a $20 Logitech USB mike. I had planned on buying a Blue Snowball, but the Logitech seems fine for narration. I am not going to cut a record or sing a song.

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:04 pm   Post subject: Re: What's the Difference.

Thank you for posting here. iSpring saves audio into .wav format 44 kHz 16 bit. Then, when converting to Flash this audio is being converted to mp3 to take less space.
iSpring names audio files according to the date when they were created. If you record sound continuously from the first to the last one, sound files will be sorted in slide order. Whenever you make any changes with sound files in this folder, it is recommended to reattach this file to this slide. (e.g. if you changed the length of the audio and if slide depends on sound, its length should be recalculated when attaching sound again.)

I think your USB mic is good enough to record qualitative voice over.

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:30 pm   Post subject: Re: What's the Difference.

Another technique that might help with narration.

You can build a "poor man's sound booth". Get a fairly large box and line it with egg crate foam, or if you really want to save money you can use real egg boxes. It does a pretty good job of keeping out ambient noise, like computer fan.

Place the mic in the box, leaving the open side of the box where you speak into it.

You can buy these portable boxes as well. If you buy a mic, check out the Articulate blog, they have tested a bunch of different units and have samples.

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:59 pm   Post subject: Re: What's the Difference.

Thank you for additional information. There are quite a lot software solutions that could do the imitation of phone, poor quality, etc. without using any physical items. Software I use for sound editing is Sound Forge and Audacity (freeware).

The best way to record audio narration is record it with a good micro without any filters, EQ, echo. Just plain voice.

You can check out podcast recording video tutorials on YouTube, which microphone is better to choose, how to avoid echo,"pop" sounds etc. All these knowledge will help you to create the most qualitative audio narrations like they were recorded in a professional studio.

All the best, you can get a consultation on audio recording settings at our support email, please address questions to me.

Mikhail.

Profile profile test