Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:17 am   Post subject: SCORM file size

Hi,

I'm quite new to this site and forum, so forgive me if I am violating any forum rules and regulations. I would just like to inquire a few important information needed by our IT guys.

I would like to ask anyone out there if you any information about these:
- say I have a PPT deck with a video and "convert" it into an iSpring presentations with basic interactive features (not the flipbook) and a quiz, what will be the estimated file size? (Say the original PPT is already at 100MB)
- using the same file, how much will be the file size after publishing it in SCORM HTML 5-ready format? Tin Can API format?

Thank you in advance for your help!

--
Marlowe (aka DarkFader-forum name)

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:37 pm   Post subject: Re: SCORM file size

I dont know about video size, you would have to test that with the formats you are using, but in the case of SCORM / TinCAN vs HTML its not going to make much difference.

In the case of SCORM the additional files are text files which have a manifest / description of the course. Text files are tiny compared to images / video, so I dont think the choice of format will be significant in terms of file size, video will be the main factor.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:21 am   Post subject: Re: SCORM file size

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your prompt response! Just to clarify (please correct me if I'm wrong), if the total file size of the PPT with embedded video is ~100MB, then after converting it into iSpring version then publishing it as SCORM/Tin Can, somehow the total file size will remain? I understand there will be "additional" files in the published SCORM file (for LMS use), so the PPT did get compressed, but the system added a few files for LMS reference?

Apologies for bugging you regarding this questions. Our IT guys just want to get ballpark figures for load capacity requirements. We are currently in the process of migrating to this new technology, so we are still weighing some more options.

Again, thank you very much for the information and more power!
--
Marlowe

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:41 pm   Post subject: Re: SCORM file size

Dear Marlowe,
Thank you for your post.
Actually the size of the output package depends on many factors: the number of animations in your original PPT, what you have embedded into, the settings you apply to the course, etc. So it's hard to tell exactly how the size of the package will change after conversion.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:10 am   Post subject: Re: SCORM file size

Hi Lena,

Thank you very much for your reply. I think I got it. I'll give it a try first and let you guys know what happened.

Thanks again and more power!
--
Marlowe

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:47 pm   Post subject: Re: SCORM file size

Hi Marlowe,
Thank you for your kind feedback! Sure, please inform us about the results.

Profile profile test