Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:13 am   Post subject: How to customize control panel?

Hello there,

first of all, I'd like to congratulate you on your awesome product. After having a nice conversation with your very outstanding support about a few problems we decided to buy FlashSpringUltra (and we tried many ppt->swf converters, hehe)

And now my question: I've tried to customize the control panel so that I have a look that fits the corporate design of any presentation that I create.
I took one of the examples (navigationpanel) and edited the bitmaps. I didn't touch anything of the as or the mc's in flash (maybe I should? :D ) so that I don't destroy anything.

After editing the .fla I generated a .swf (for flashplayer 7 and AS 2) and put it into the folder to the other designs. After that I've added a new entry in the .xml document so that I can easily choose the new control panel.

Now here's the problem: After choosing the new panel and publishing the .ppt the panel doesn't appear, in fact, nothing appears. The whole presentation is missing and I just get a black screen.

Apperently I've done something wrong with the .swf file. Actually, I don't even know if this is the correct way to create an own control panel.

But what did I do wrong and how can I fix it? Or is there already anything like a faq or "how to" planned for "how to make your own control panel" ? (didn't find anything yet)

Edit: Oh, as I've recently noticed, the new entry that I put into the .xml isn't shown. So I simply renamed the new .swf and replaced the old navigation panel with the new one... has the same effect. :(
So, another question: How can I add a new design for the control panels in the "skin-box" ?

Best regards,
Tobias Frank
www.iconnewmedia.de

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:13 pm   Post subject:

Hello Tobias,

Thank you for interesting in our products and being enthusiastic about creating your own design!

First of all I would like to say that after you convert your presentation to flash you won't be able to make changes to your player skin. So if you correct your .xml file after publishing you won't see any difference in your .sfw Flash presentation.

Yoy can create your own style of navigation panel by editing .fla source file of the navigation panel. Pictures of the navigation buttons stores in MovieClips in this source file. After you make some changes please save the file and then publish presentation with your own style.

Hope this information will be useful for you.
You can learn more about customizing of the navigation panel at the page:
http://www.ispringsolutions.com/kb/docs/players/navigation_panel/1.0/index.html

Please find custom skin samples for FlashSpring Ultra here:
http://www.ispringsolutions.com/support/ultra_samples.html

You can also contact our support team writing to the email
support@ispringsolutions.com

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:16 pm   Post subject:

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I've been searching for! :)

Edit: Hmm, seems like customizing the panel with FlashSpring Ultra 2 ain't as easy as with FlashSpringPro. There isn't any .xml file like in the online documentation. :/
Looks like I've got to work with the .api's, am I correct? And if I am: I don't get anything out of the doucmentation. How can I change the position and the opacity of the channel?

Thanks for help!

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:31 pm   Post subject:

Hello!

Customizing of Navigation Panel with FlashSpring Ultra samples is a little bit harder than editing the .xml file in iSpring Pro.

To change position of buttons you have only to correct one file called CNavigationPanelSkin.as. It contains the main.CNavigationPanelSkin class and this class has properties:

private static var BUTTON_STEP_X:Number = 6;
private static var BUTTON_WIDTH:Number = 32;
private static var BUTTON_HEIGHT:Number = 33;
private static var RIGHT_MARGIN:Number = 5;
private static var BOTTOM_MARGIN:Number = 5;

Changing them you will handle buttons size and position. I tested this and set RIGHT_MARGIN parameter to 500 and then panel appeared from the left side.

Also you can change skin of buttons. For this you need Macromedia Flash 8 or higher installed on your computer. The main file in project where stores pictures named navigation_panel.fla.

After you make some changes with buttons skin or with properties of positioning you have to compile the project. Press ctrl+enter inside the navigation_panel.fla opened with Macromedia Flash. Then copy compiled navigation_panel.swf to the directory of iSpring or FlashSpring product where it stores. Don't forget to make copy of the original file before owerwring it.

I made a sample of the custom Navigation Panel for you. I will be glad to send you this if you want.

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:41 am   Post subject:

Ahhhh! Now by bulb got lighted!

This whole folder works kinda workstation and the .swf runs through a workflow and gets its properties from the .api's. Cool thing!

Anyways, my Navigation looks now like it should and is at the correct position. Thank you very much for your help!

Now only one question is left: Is it possible to create a field inside the navigation that requests and displays the current page and how many pages there are in total?
And if it is: How do I install it into the control panel? Do I have to create the possible numbers (like 1, 2, 3, etc.) within the flash file and set the position and function inside the CNavigationPanelSkin.as? Or this just too hard and would cost me thousands of hours? :D

Thanks again!

Edit: Oh! And another question: When I've created a new .swf control panel and put it into the players/default folder, there is an .xml file as well. I've entered a new entry but it won't show up in the selection in powerpoint so i had to replace the "navigation_panel.swf" with my new one (made a backup ;) ). How can I get the new entry into the skin selection?

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:00 pm   Post subject:

Hello Tobias.

I'm happy that this information was useful for you.

As for creating the field displaying current page I can say the following: there are no impossible things, but this thing is almost impossible. Navigation panel supposes using of existing buttons only and even deleting a button is not easy.

Regarding to player.xml file within FlashSpring Ultra subdirrectory. This file is just a description of all players, and it differs from skin_settings.xml inside iSpring Pro\players\navigation panel directory. You cannot make any changes in Navigation Panel editing player.xml as you can do it with iSpring Pro.

There are two ways of customizing positioning of Navigation Panel:
1. Editing ActionScript source file and compiling it into .swf
2. Only for iSpring Pro. Editing skin_settings.xml

The way of how to do it depends on product which you are using - Ultra or Pro. I think now you can choose how to customize the panel. And it seems you are going to be a wizard in customizing!

Profile profile test