Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:09 pm   Post subject: Extract your data from e-mails automatically for free

I am an individual public school teacher who bought Quizmaker on my own because it provides a superior platform vs the quiz development tool included in my school district's LMS. The big drawback is that to get consolidated results the options were not good. I could try to get the attention of an IT professional in the school system to write some code to get the data into the school's LMS (not likely to happen), use iLearn LMS from iSpring for a couple of thousand dollars a year (definitely not going to happen), pay iSpring for customization (nope), or read tons of e-mail (not a good option with 180 students).

On the New Features discussion page, several others and I have requested iSpring to consider improvements in this area but it doesn't look like much is going to be done. So, here is a solution for those of you in my situation: e-mail parsing software.

You can download a free e-mail parser from automatedemailparser.com and use it to automatically sort through your e-mails from iSpring, pick out any data you want to retrieve, and put it in a spreadsheet file.

Now, up until yesterday I had never used an e-mail parser in my life, but this is a pretty simple program with outstanding documentation (I can't believe it's free!), and I had it working smoothly to extract names and scores within a few minutes. Then I added fields to capture the points for each question and it worked too. I ended up with an Excel file with all the names, scores, and points for each question.

No IT requests. No javascript code at all. Absolutely free. Just the data I want formatted the way I want. I know I make it sound easy, and it is, but of course there are details like how to use it with gmail that took a little creativity to work out. If there is interest I could post a more complete write-up of instructions.

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:31 am   Post subject: Re: Extract your data from e-mails automatically for free

Hello, xyoureyes!

Thank you for posting here!

Please feel free to provide more detail on this software for our users, who may find this solution helpful.

Have a good day!

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:37 pm   Post subject: Re: Extract your data from e-mails automatically for free

Thanks for this information, please provide us with more information about this approach.

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:52 am   Post subject: Re: Extract your data from e-mails automatically for free

I used this method all school year and it worked well.

Set up a separate gmail account (free) just for quizmaker stuff.

When you publish the quiz, specify this account to receive the results.

Download and use a free automated e-mail parser program.

In the program you specify the e-mail account and filters to extract data as well as an excel file to hold the results. The documentation for the parser is pretty good, but it will take a little trial and error to get good at it.

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Extract your data from e-mails automatically for free

@xyoureyes

Thank you for sharing your experience!
I'm sure it can be helpful for many our users.

Profile profile test

Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:28 am   Post subject: Re: Extract your data from e-mails automatically for free

Thanks a lot xyoureyes!... This will also work if you don't want to mess with php and mysql.

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:38 pm   Post subject: Re: Extract your data from e-mails automatically for free

Hi xyoureyes,
Do you know if emailparser can be used with different mailboxes in the same outlook archive file?
I have a specific email for receiving the quiz results, and I have that mail box in my inbox. However, I can't select other inbox than the main one...
Thanks
João

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:48 am   Post subject: Re: Extract your data from e-mails automatically for free

I'm not sure. I believe it works best with .pst while archives are usually .ost, but I'm doing this by memory. I didn't want anything to get mixed in with my Outlook files so I just set up another Gmail account just for quizzes and it works fine.

You could forward all your current quiz e-mails to a Gmail account then have future quiz e-mails go directly to Gmail.

Barney

Profile profile test