Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:21 pm   Post subject: Organizing questions for easier data analysis

I teach AP Physics and use a lot of at home quizzes to check understanding. I use multiple problems in random order to discourage students from just calling up their buddies to get the answers (believe it or not, some high school students are lazy) . I organize the quiz into question groups and pull, say, two questions out of a group with ten questions.

The problem I was having with reports was that Question 1 for Student A could be different from Question 1 from another student. There was no way to easily examine the data to see how students did on a particular question.

I solved it by assigning a unique code to each question. The code would be placed at the beginning of the text for the question, surrounded by special characters. I formatted the special characters and code to blend in with the background so it was invisible to the student. For instance

{B.19.a-004} How does the strength of a charged object's electric field vary with distance from the object?

I use an e-mail parser (see my other post), and set a filter to extract information between the special characters {}. This goes to an Excel file where I can sort the info into the correct columns. When I'm finished I have information for all students and every question. For instance, out of 150 students, maybe 30 answered a particular question, which is enough data to do some analysis.

Another advantage is that I can reuse questions from quizzes and compare proficiency against a particular academic standard across different quizzes over time. And of course, I have my question bank organized by code which makes it easy to make new quizzes.

It would be nice if iSpring included an optional field in Quizmaker for a code, but until then, my method works well.

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:30 pm   Post subject: Re: Organizing questions for easier data analysis

@xyoureyes
Thank you for this interesting idea!
I forwarded your message to our Product Development team for consideration. We appreciate your creative approach to e-learning!

Profile profile test