Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:00 pm   Post subject: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

Evaluating the product for my company. We do video conferencing software. It's written in Flex 3. Looks like a neat product but I'm spinning my wheels. I just want to load an ISpring generated presentation into the FLex 3 app. No luck so far.

I've got the SDK (4.2.1.2635). Documentation mentions hooks for Flex 2. Says there's an AS3 bridge as well.

Are there any Flex 3 samples? Flex 3 documentation?

I have an ISpring generated presentation and the following code's not working for me. Am I missing something?

import fsplayer.api.*;

var loader:CPresentationLoader = new CPresentationLoader();

// this object (in our case it is _root MovieClip) will listening to the player
loader.setPlayerListener(this);

// load generated Flash presentation
loader.loadClip("presentation.swf", presentation);

// this method is invoked when player gets initialized
function onPlayerInit(p:IPlayer):Void
{
// add your extra initialization code here
}

Compiler reports error:

A file found in a source-path must have an externally visible definition. If a definition in the file is meant to be externally visible, please put the definition in a package. IPlayerListener.as Unknown

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:42 pm   Post subject: Re: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

I'm able to get the following code to load and display the "presentation.swf" file that comes with the samples in the SDK (C:\Program Files\iSpring\SDK\samples\client\samples\as3\flex2\sample3\presentations).

Same code won't load a swf I just generated with ISpring Pro 4.2.

The code is simple - just a PresentationContainer instance and a call to its load method.

Is there something special that needs doing to load a newer swf? Or are certain options necessary when generating the swf's to make them Flex 3 compatible?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"
xmlns:flex="ispring.flex.*"
layout="absolute"
initialize="init()">

<mx:Script>
<![CDATA[
public function init():void
{
presentationContainer.load("presentation.swf");
}
]]>
</mx:Script>

<mx:Canvas x="146" y="140"
width="800" height="600">
<flex:PresentationContainer id="presentationContainer"
width="100%" height="100%"
adjustSizeToBorders="true"/>
</mx:Canvas>

</mx:Application>

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:33 pm   Post subject: Re: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

Here's what the console reads when it fails:

undefined
at mx.core::UIComponent/validateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:6342]
at mx.core::Container/validateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\Container.as:2677]
at mx.managers::LayoutManager/validateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:622]
at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:677]
at Function/http://adobe.com/AS3/2006/builtin::apply()
at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher2()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8628]
at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8568]

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:01 pm   Post subject: Re: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

iSpring Pro generated presentations doesn't provide any APIs.
You should use iSpring Presenter or iSpring SDK for these purposes.
Please make sure that you enabled options to intergate ActionScript 3 Connector in Presenter settings (Avanced Tab) or SDK (Plugins tab in Code Builder or CorePlugins COM interface)

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:05 pm   Post subject: Re: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

iSpring Pro generated presentations don't provide any APIs.
You should use iSpring Presenter or iSpring SDK for these purposes.
Please make sure that you enabled options to intergate ActionScript 3 Connector in Presenter settings (Avanced Tab) or SDK (Plugins tab in Code Builder or CorePlugins COM interface)

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

Want to be sure I'm getting you clearly here.

I'm using the SDK Flex sample code as a guide to attempt the integration. Are you saying the problem is what I'm using to make the PPT conversion in the first place - that if I use Presenter or the SDK for that and enable options to intergate ActionScript 3 Connector, Flex will be able to load the swf's?

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:10 pm   Post subject: Re: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

I used the SDK to convert a PPT presentation and checked "Integrate Actionscript 3 Connector" on the plugins tab.

Now I can load the swf into my Flex app with the line:

Not sure what to do from there though. I want access to the internal player so I can programmatically control slide movement and do things like get and set the current slide index and such. I see two different approaches in the examples. Some use the AS3 bridge and some don't.

Does the conversion engine still generate AS2 swf's? Should I be using the AS3 bridge approach?

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:49 am   Post subject: Re: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

Please take a look at the following flex samples illustrating a way you can control Flash presentations with the integrated AS3 connector:
"C:\Program Files\iSpring\SDK\samples\client\samples\as3\flex2"

Quote:
Does the conversion engine still generate AS2 swf's?

Yes. AS2 files are generated. AS3 connector is an AS2 module integrated into generated Flash presentations. It provides AS3 applications with ability to control presentation playback via LocalConnection communication. The communication via LocalConnection is implemented by AS3 classes located in the following folder:
"C:\Program Files\iSpring\SDK\samples\client\sdk\ispring\as2player"
These classes provide a set of interfaces which allow AS3 applications to control presentation playback
AS3 classes and interfaces described here:
http://www.ispringsolutions.com/kb/docs ... _flex.html

Quote:
Should I be using the AS3 bridge approach?

Communication via AS3 bridge is a deprecated approach and is no longer supported. AS3 applications should use AS3 connector for now.

Profile profile test WWW www ICQ ICQ

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:57 pm   Post subject: Re: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

rexdtripod wrote:
I used the SDK to convert a PPT presentation and checked "Integrate Actionscript 3 Connector" on the plugins tab.

Now I can load the swf into my Flex app with the line:

Not sure what to do from there though. I want access to the internal player so I can programmatically control slide movement and do things like get and set the current slide index and such. I see two different approaches in the examples. Some use the AS3 bridge and some don't.

Does the conversion engine still generate AS2 swf's? Should I be using the AS3 bridge approach?

I suggest you use the AS3 bridge approach from there.

Best Regards,
Jan Manzer
Jan Manzer

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:06 pm   Post subject: Re: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

janmanzer411 wrote:
I suggest you use the AS3 bridge approach from there.

Notice from the development team:
The communication via AS3 bridge is an outdated technology and is left for compatibility with old applications only. No extra features will be added to the AS3 bridge connector. There are also some technical limitations of using this way of communication (related to Flash player security sandbox restrictions) which prevent using it, for instance, with Adobe AIR applications.
We at iSpring highly recommend to use ActionScript 3 connector approach.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:24 pm   Post subject: Re: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

Unfortunately this does not work either. See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=785

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:05 pm   Post subject: Re: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

rexdtripod wrote:
Unfortunately this does not work either. See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=785

Dear rexdtripod,
Could you please send us (to our support team) a compile-ready example illustrating the problem you experience?

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:46 pm   Post subject: Re: Include slide player in Flex 3 app: where to start?

I guess I can, but they already have the compile ready project and they already have a note from me on this which went unanswered.

The project is in the samples you pointed me to above - sample3 in "C:\Program Files\iSpring\SDK\samples\client\samples\as3\flex2".

Just replace the presentation swf that comes with the project with one NEWLY generated by ISpring CodeBuilder 4.2.1. and run the project in "Debug" mode. It will crash the debugger with a message like the one in my post.

I'll forward this to support again.

Profile profile test