Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:15 am   Post subject: Pass name and email to quiz

I've been evaluating Quizbuilder (Presenter 4.2) for use in a non-LMS environment. I've been able to create a quiz and have the results posted to a page on our test server. The page then creates a record in an MSSQL database.

However, when a quiztaker launches the quiz, they’re prompted to enter their name and email address. As the quiztaker previously logged into to the CMS to gain access to the quiz, this information is already readily available to me.

Can I pass this info into the quiz to eliminate the need for the quiztaker to enter it? If yes, how?

I can’t find anything in the API related to the quiztaker (maybe I’m blind or this is way over my head).

I've already unsuccessfully tried setting the "sn" and "se" variables;
- in javascript prior to the quiz being launch with no success
- through a form post to the page that launches the quiz
- as a parameter in the flash object

I took a stab in the dark with the "sn" and "se" variables as they are used to pass this info to the results server.

Regards,

Tom

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:44 am   Post subject: Re: Pass name and email to quiz

If its not possible to pass the name and email into the quiz, is it possible to turn off the prompt and just have the quiz post NULL values (or some other value) for the "sn" and "se" variables to the results page on the server.

I can modify the results page to ignore these two posted variables and instead insert the quiztakers name and email directly from the CMS membership system into the data base.

Worse case scenario, if this info can’t be passed into the quiz or the prompt turned off, it won't matter what they enter as the variables containing their input will be ignored. It would however be cleaner is I could turn it off or pass the values in...

Regards,
Tom

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:55 am   Post subject: Re: Pass name and email to quiz

The option you require is not available in iSpring Presenter. However we can implement it as a custom development project for you. Please contact our sales at "sales@ispringsolutions.com" for more info.

Thank you!

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:41 pm   Post subject: Re: Pass name and email to quiz

No offence meant, but we aren't interested in paying for and maintaining a customization that should be part of the program to begin with.

Besides LMS support, Quizbuilder should fully support capturing of the quiztakers user information and posting of the results to a server and email.

The ability to capturing the quiztakers user info is limited. You should be able to pass this info into the quiz and/or prompt the user to enter it.

Posting the results to the server is fully supported. This works great.

Posting results to email is limited in that you:
- cannot specify the email server to use.
- cannot pass the email address to use into the quiz. Results may need to be sent to different addresses depending on who the quiztaker is.

How about including these capabilities in a future version of Quizbuilder?

Regards, Tom

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:37 am   Post subject: Re: Pass name and email to quiz

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. We will definitely take it into consideration.

However, the development plan is established for the next 2 versions of iSpring Presenter, so this features won't appear in soon enough. Besides I'd like to mention that your feature request is quite specific, and we ususally add new options as soon as they are required by large amount of our clients.

Thank you for understanding!

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:20 pm   Post subject: Re: Pass name and email to quiz

However, when a quiztaker launches the quiz, they’re prompted to enter their name and email address. As the quiztaker previously logged into to the CMS to gain access to the quiz, this information is already readily available to me.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:26 pm   Post subject: Re: Pass name and email to quiz

Student is prompted to enter his name and email address when "sending results via email" option is turned on only. The matter is Quiz could be taken from any domain, there is no need to place quiz in LMS. In other words this option is designed for other domains which may not have student's name and email.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 pm   Post subject: Re: Pass name and email to quiz

Is it possible to use Actionscript to pre-populate those two variables (name and email) so that the dialog does not pop-up?

I am in the same boat as TWilson in trying to integrate a course with my CMS. I was thinking that I could build a Flash movie that would load the course. If I could then use AS in that "loader" to pre-populate those values, the quiz might be smart enough to not prompt the user.

Thanks

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:59 pm   Post subject: Re: Pass name and email to quiz

bryanthrasher,
This is possible with ActionScript. The same technology is used on our iSpring Online e-learning portal. Quizzes provide ActionScript API (120 AS classes and interfaces) which is currently available for internal company use only. We can license it to third parties at the additional fee.
Please contact our sales at sales [@] ispringsolutions.com if you are interested in it

Profile profile test WWW www ICQ ICQ

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:17 am   Post subject: Re: Pass name and email to quiz

Agree with the early posts. I think just about anybody who uses an LMS and wishes to leverage the quiz maker software would want to have the user information passed to the flash file. It is poor customer service for us to ask our students to provide this information every time they run a quiz. Imagine that as part of a course, they need to execute 5 separate quizzes in one sitting. They would need to add their name and email 6 times. Once to log into the LMS and then once for each quiz. The worse problem is that the student could enter a different name and email each time.

I do hope you include this option as part of your normal application as I think the reality is that ppl are not just asking for it not that they do not want it.

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Pass name and email to quiz

Thanks for your feedback. We will consider adding this feature into one of the future releases of iSpring Presenter and QuizMAker.

Profile profile test