Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:29 am   Post subject: Creating a free text question in a quiz

Hello there,

I want to be able to allow my users to answer a question in there own words. How can I do this, any ideas, currently I am only able to create quizzes with multiple choice type answers.

Regards,

Paul

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:41 pm   Post subject: Re: Creating a free text question in a quiz

Does the order make sense? You can use type in question.
However, if order doesn't make sense it makes the task more complicated because you can't set an array of correct answers, just clear expressions.

Example:
To answer the question: "What are three base colors? (comma separated)" you will need to predict 6 correct answers:

red, green, blue
red, blue, green
green, red, blue
green, blue, red
blue, red, green
blue, green, red

It's described in an article Permutation on Wikipedia.

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:27 am   Post subject: Re: Creating a free text question in a quiz

Hi Mikhail,

Thank you for your response.

No good, I want the user to be able to type a paragraph or two and have the reviewer grade it.

Example:
Opinion question: Would your life be worse without magnets? Why/why not? Write your answer below?

If I was to use the "Type in" option, I would firstly need to have two answer boxes as the quizmaker doesn't allow to have one answer option of "Type in". This would be confusing and messy for the quiz taker.

Secondly, the "type in" option has a very small text box. Ideally the user will need to be able to review what they have written a little better than what is currently in place, which is to use the cursor arrow to click back over each word.

What if I used the "Blank slide" - how could I customise that to allow for the user to enter in a proper multi paragraph answer to a question?

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:30 am   Post subject: Re: Creating a free text question in a quiz

Hi there!

In that case, I would suggest using an Essay question. You might also make it a Yes/No survey question branching to two Essay questions, which would allow for more finely-grained results, and more opportunities to customize your ongoing feedback and other options.

Hope that helps!

Profile profile test