Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:59 pm   Post subject: Increasing Interactivity

As an instructional designer I am continually looking to increase the ways a student can interact with the learning material.

It seems to me, if we could use some of the quiz interactions as practice interactions, it would be way cool.

That is the ability to insert a matching exercise or an ordered list exercise with feedback. These interactions would not be graded, only give the student a chance to practice with the material.

Thanks for listening.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:26 am   Post subject: Re: Increasing Interactivity

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

If I understand right, you need to add several questions with no score to a graded quiz. Yes, it is possible to accomplish this combining both general settings for the whole quiz and custom settings for an individual question.

Below I describe an example where I have a 5-question quiz and I want to make 1 question non-graded:

1) Open a quiz in QuizMaker, go to Settings menu:
a. In the Main tab set the required parameters in the "Passing score" and "Normalize score to" fields. For clarity, I put "100" in both;
b. In the Question defaults tab set the required amount for “Points Awarded”. In my example as I want only 4 questions to be scored and the total score is 100, I put the default points value for each question equal to "25";

2) Click "Ok" and close the Settings menu. Open the question that should be non-graded;

3) Unmark "Use default options" in the "Options" area on the bottom of the window. Now it is possible to set different points and attempts value for this question. I put "0" points value.

Now points are awarded only for 4 questions in the quiz and the 5th question doesn't influence the final score even if a student gives a wrong answer.

In the next version of iSpring QuizMaker 6.0 it will be possible to create a non-graded quiz ("survey" quiz type). Currently this feature is under development.

I hope my answer was helpful.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:59 pm   Post subject: Re: Increasing Interactivity

Stacy,

Not exactly, what I would like to do is just put an quiz like interaction in the course.

For example, I can create a multiple choice question with feedback by using hyperlinks or triggered animations. I don't need use quizmaker at all.

It would be cool if there was a way to do matching interactions, sequences etc. without having to insert a quiz. Thinking about it, it would be somewhat tricky, I imagine you would have to code the flash interaction in such a way that it would be customizable by the user and the designer really couldn't see the interaction - maybe I'm taking myself out of it.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:26 pm   Post subject: Re: Increasing Interactivity

Thank you for your idea.

Perhaps it really can be useful to create such Flash interactions though they would duplicate QuizMaker functionality in a way. I will forward your suggestion to our development team. We will take it into consideration while determining new directions for the new versions development.

Thank you for your help to make iSpring software more handy!

Profile profile test