Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:16 pm   Post subject: Competition

Well, Storyline is out. Apparently it has powerful navigation flexibility both structured and user defined - something John Byrant has been pleading for.

Storyline also features drag n drop, a feature I have been pleading for.

Storyline is expensive - same price as the Articulate Presenter suite.

Storyline will publish to html5.

Also, apparently it doesn't use Powerpoint, instead it has user interface that pretty much duplicates Powerpoint - how they got it by Microsoft, I don't know.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:31 pm   Post subject: Re: Competition

I wouldn't hold your breath about Storyline. Remember it has been touch and go getting it ready nearly two years later than they'd started touting and I suspect it's going to be very much a beta project in progress for a long time to come. I don't even want to put myself through the agony and will ignore it for a while, I've decided. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem that earth-shattering and is certainly inadequate in some important areas, where there is no PowerPoint underpinning it. I noticed on the forums, for example, that there's no type size line-leading such as you get (and rightly expect) in PowerPoint (and therefore that are transferable to the add-ons), only the inadequate 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5... line spacing. Little things like that are crucial and are what will keep a lot of people sticking with the PowerPoint addons such as iSpring's or even Articulate's own Presenter.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:21 pm   Post subject: Re: Competition

Storyline is probably a good product. Yes, it is expensive and its audience is pretty much different than ours. We will keep supporting PowerPoint users.

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:12 am   Post subject: Re: Competition

Stacy wrote:
Storyline is probably a good product. Yes, it is expensive and its audience is pretty much different than ours. We will keep on working with MS PowerPoint.

I would be very interested in knowing who your audience is - if it isn't instructional designers???

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:25 am   Post subject: Re: Competition

Btwopointoh,

I think using powerpoint as a base is a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because of it's ubiquity and ease of use.

The page turning linearity and the difficulty/challenge of inter activity is the curse of powerpoint.

My prediction is that Flash will die faster than people expect and html5 will accelerate along with better tools.

Profile profile test