Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:14 pm   Post subject: Error : failed to open powerpoint

Hello,

I have install the sdk on the server, with the "help step by step".

I do a .NET web site with IIS, windows 2003 server, framework 2.0

When I want do an "openPresentation" I have an exception who said : "failed to open powerpoint"

Someone do you know where Is my problem ?

Profile profile test

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:24 am   Post subject: Re: Error : failed to open powerpoint

duduche1 wrote:
Hello,

I have install the sdk on the server, with the "help step by step".

I do a .NET web site with IIS, windows 2003 server, framework 2.0

When I want do an "openPresentation" I have an exception who said : "failed to open powerpoint"

Someone do you know where Is my problem ?

As far as I understand your problem, you are trying to convert the presentation writing the conversion code in the ASP.NET script executed by IIS.

To be honest - it is not good idea. The reasons are as follows:
1. iSpring SDK uses PowerPoint automation to get the necessary information about presentation structure. Your scripts are running under very limited user account which doesn't have permissions to automate PowerPoint by default. To enable PowerPoint automation you must do the following:
1.1. Determine which user account is used to execute your .NET page - usually it is something like IUSR_*
1.2. Open Contol Panel. Then open Administrative tools->Component services
1.3. Open Console Root->Component Services->Computers->My Computer->DCOM Config and find there "Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation" component.
1.4. Right click this component and open its properties.
1.5. In the Security Tab find the Launch and Activation Permissions. Choose the Customize option and click the Edit.. button
1.6. Then grant Local Activation and Local Launch permissions to the user account that is used to execute .NET scripts.

2. This user account has a limited access to temporary files folder - in this case you should specify the TemporaryFolder property of the Settings object.

3. PowerPoint 2007 has known issues with its automation by several threads or processes simultaneously. We are working on this issue but you can experience troubles when several presentations are converted simultaneously. In this case we would recommend to organize a sort of queue which will process presentations one by one.

Profile profile test WWW www ICQ ICQ

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:35 pm   Post subject:

OK you have understand my problem (sorry for my english). I have do all 1.* (so I think I do correctly all point :D ) But I have the error message. I'm sur is not a good solution to use the "automation" method.

But I wan't convert PPT to SWF on server side, What other method can I use : May be directly use an "exec" method to launch the SDK converter ?

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:22 am   Post subject:

Hello,

Please, send the e-mail to our support - support@ispringsolutions.com.

We can offer one more solution for you :)

Profile profile test

Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:31 am   Post subject: The same problem

Hi, do you find any answer? I recently install the sdk and alone on Visual Web Developer works fine, but in IIS, i had a lot of troubles, the first one, a problem with the object creation, and now, I saw the file uploaded, but it can open i !!!

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:07 pm   Post subject:

Hi!

Have you already performed the steps described by Alexey Malov in one of the previous post? If not, please follow the recommendations.

Also I'd like to mention that it's not recommended to use iSpring SDK and PowerPoint under a limited IIS account. Please see this article for reference:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757

Profile profile test