Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:54 pm   Post subject: Section 508 compliance

I have been testing iSpring suite with JAWS for Windows (v13) and have found that there does not seem to be any support for the tests that Quizmaker creates or the Kinetics interactions outside of reading the question text. The answer text cannot be read and you cannot navigate with a keyboard at all.

iSpring is supposed to be Section 508 compliant, but is it 100% compliant inside of tests and the Kinetics interactions?

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:37 pm   Post subject: Re: Section 508 compliance

Thank you for the post!
For now iSpring supports section 508 on slides area but not in Quizmaker and Interactions components.

This functionality is under development now and we hope it will be released some time next year.

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:06 pm   Post subject: Re: Section 508 compliance

I have a client that requires Section 508 compliance for the entire LMS module, including quizzes and the Kinetics interactions that we have created using iSpring Suite 7.

We chose your product partially due to the advertised Section 508 compliance.

Seeing as you've mentioned that you are investigating the functionality, do you believe that it would be possible to edit the code of the LMS output to add ALT text to some of the elements of quizzes and Kinetics interactions? I realize that we would have to do this in house, but I wanted to ask if you (or a technician) thought it possible.

I appreciate any options that you can offer?

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:41 pm   Post subject: Re: Section 508 compliance

Thank you for the post!
Actually the editing of the LMS code won't work in this case. As it's the tool that is responsible for screen reading functionality.
Thank you for understanding!

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:45 pm   Post subject: Re: Section 508 compliance

Julia,

That's strange to hear seeing as the ScreenReader works with the output from PowerPoint when published as a Flash/HTML5 LMS module. We have labeled buttons with ALT text that allows screen readers to identify navigation buttons. The screen reader is able to read the text of a question in a quiz, but it is unable to "read" a selection box, button, or any of the answer text. There is also a lack of keyboard control / navigation inside of Quizzes and Kinetics interactions.

My thought was that we could label the buttons (radio, true/false, multiple choice, etc) with ALT text that corresponds to the answer that selecting that button (box, etc) represents.

If I find myself with some extra time while waiting for the rest of my team to complete their contributions, I may dig into the code and investigate.

Jason

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Section 508 compliance

Dear Jason,
I think that the ability to read labeled buttons depends on the device itself. Actually our engineers didn't add this functionality in Quizmaker so this might be the device that recognizes some buttons of the tool.

Profile profile test