Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:30 pm   Post subject: Reducing the File Size of a Published Quiz

Hi,

I’d like to know if there is a way to reduce the file size of a published quiz.

My HTML5 quiz is text only, no images. I’ve tried publishing it using the all the different compression options but I still end up with the same file size no matter what settings I use. Are all these settings only going to affect the final file size for quizzes that contain images, video or audio?

Since my quiz has only text, is there a way to reduce that file size or not? Are all the files in the published “data” folder necessary?

Thanks,

John

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm   Post subject: Re: Reducing the File Size of a Published Quiz

While waiting for a response to this question I checked the contents of the published Data folder and I saw both WOFF files and TrueType Font Files. I deleted all the TrueType files and the quiz continued to work correctly. Can anyone tell me what might be the implications of doing that or does it depend on how the quizzes will be viewed? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:30 pm   Post subject: Re: Reducing the File Size of a Published Quiz

QuizMaker doesn't have special settings to make output quizzes be maller.
You can publish specifically to the chosen format, whether HTML5 or Flash. It will make the output file twice as small.

Files, genarated by iSpring cannot be changed, moved or deleted, otherwise your presentation or the quiz will appear incorrecly.

Woff file format is an HTML5 embedded font format.

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Reducing the File Size of a Published Quiz

Hi Mikhail,

Thanks for your response. My question is, though, if we are only publishing in HTML5 do we need have BOTH the TTF files AND the WOFF files. From what I can see, we can get away without the TTF files. Is that the case?

Thanks,

John

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:51 pm   Post subject: Re: Reducing the File Size of a Published Quiz

It is actually TTF for one type of browsers and WOFF for the others. If you delete TTF it can function incorrectly in some cases.

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:56 pm   Post subject: Re: Reducing the File Size of a Published Quiz

Mikhail,

Could you please be more specific. Which browsers need each version of that fonts? That information would be really helpful.

Thanks,

John

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Reducing the File Size of a Published Quiz

This is not yes or no question, because it depends on a browser's version and on the font itself. Please take a look at these comparison charts:

Here are couple of links describing the question in detail:
http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/que ... -font-face
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1100 ... -font-face

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:16 pm   Post subject: Re: Reducing the File Size of a Published Quiz

Thanks Mickhail,

This is very helpful.

Cheers,

John

Profile profile test