Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:39 am   Post subject: Controlled Navigation -- Joe Kirby

Joe. You haven't convinced me that you can have triggers and branching scenarios without controlled navigation.

Here is my first try at controlled navigation. There are seven slides. Six use triggers. There is no way I can use these slides unless I control the navigation.

I had to use the "None" template since all other Ispring templates allow free navigation.

http://www.georgiaappraiser.com/temp/

Of course, this template is no good for elearning. There is no topics list, no links list, no presenter info, no search capability and no speaker notes. Actually there is no nothing except controlled navigation.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:53 am   Post subject: Re: Controlled Navigation -- Joe Kirby

I get what you're saying about controlled navigation, if you use the player, the student has the option of taking control and skipping over parts of your finely crafted course materials.

Personally I think the players are mostly overkill. A video talking head has no pedagogical value and having the student read the words while someone is narrating the same words has been pretty well proven to cause cognitive overload and reduce learning. At least according to Richard Clark.

I think what I was trying to say about triggers is that you can put "stacks of information on one slide so the student doesn't have to "navigate". However that doesn't solve the problem of the student just clicking thru or jumping somewhere.

I'm thinking one thing you could try. What if you build a scenario with the no player option and inserted in the course? Then the student would be completely under your control during the scenario and then go back to player mode. I have no idea, if that works or not - it might be a way to embed a guided interaction.

I think maybe Articulate does that with their engage interactions.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:09 am   Post subject: Re: Controlled Navigation -- Joe Kirby

I have tried a trick, by laying an empty form over most of the page, that ha a hyperlink to the current page. Then I put links to the space where there is an answer to a question. So if a "student" klicks somewhere into the page. Nothing moves, only the current slide re-appears. If the student klicks onto the solution-area, the show will go on.

One problem: If the slide does not fill the whole page, a click into the grey surrounnding of the slide will bring you to the next slide anyway.

Profile profile test