Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:26 pm   Post subject: ispring sdk via PHP COM + windows 2008 + office 2007

I'm trying to use iSpring SDK 5.5.1 with PowerPoint 2007 in Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and run it from the web using PHP 5.3.3 via FastCGI in IIS7 -- all installed completely fresh and clean (these are the only things on this server, created in a rackspace cloud instance for dev purposes although it will eventually be redone on a conventional box) -- but I keep getting an error:

Code:
PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'com_exception' with message 'Failed to create COM object `iSpring.PresentationConverter': Access is denied.
' in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ispring.php:40
Stack trace:
#0 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ispring.php(40): com->com('iSpring.Present...')
#1 {main}
  thrown in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ispring.php on line 40

I followed all the instructions for configuring the iSpring SDK on IIS6 in Windows Server 2003 as found here:
http://www.ispringsolutions.com/articles/iis_setup.html

(Although, to adapt this to office 2007 in server 2008, the referenced DCOM object "Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation" seems to instead be called "Microsoft Office PowerPoint Slide". Can anyone confirm that this is in fact the correct one to modify, or is it something else now?)

I gave all the specified "Local Activation" permissions to user "IUSR", which is what IIS7 runs anonymous web requests as (confirmed in my IIS Management Console), and even created the directory "C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Desktop", as was recommended in a forum post on this site for a problem that seemed similar to mine. Yet, I continue to get this error.

Has anyone gotten the iSpring SDK to work in this setup? Has anyone encountered this error before and figured out what to do about it?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:13 pm   Post subject: Re: ispring sdk via PHP COM + windows 2008 + office 2007

Ah, apparently the problem is that FastCGI (at least in windows 2008, with php 5.3.3) apparently uses "NETWORK SERVICE" as its user in some situations, even with fastcgi.impersonate = 1, so I needed to add NETWORK SERVICE local activation permissions to the 3 DCOM objects. That made it so I don't get the original error but now it claims it can't find the ppt file:

Code:
<b>Fatal error</b>:  Uncaught exception 'com_exception' with message '&lt;b&gt;Source:&lt;/b&gt; iSpring.PresentationConverter.5&lt;br/&gt;&lt;b&gt;Description:&lt;/b&gt; Failed to open presentation &quot;C:\inetpub\wwwroot\eventppts\LogoDesign.ppt&quot;' in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ispring.php:45
Stack trace:
#0 C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ispring.php(45): com-&gt;OpenPresentation('eventppts/LogoD...')
#1 {main}
  thrown in <b>C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ispring.php</b> on line <b>45</b><br />

Which is crazy, because the same command run from the command line has no problems finding the file:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\iSpring\SDK 5\ispringsdk.exe" s C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\LogoDesign.ppt C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\eventppts\logo1.swf

However, even when I try to run that in php, using backticks, it still gives me the same error:
Code:
Failed to open presentation "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\LogoDesign.ppt"

So... what gives? Anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone gotten the ispring sdk to work with php in windows 2008?

Thanks.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:24 am   Post subject: Re: ispring sdk via PHP COM + windows 2008 + office 2007

I see in the error message that you are trying to Open the C:\inetpub\wwwroot\eventppts\LogoDesign.ppt file from your PHP application while you are specifying the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\LogoDesign.ppt file calling iSpring SDK from the command line.

Make sure that the presentation with the specified name does really exist and the user account which is used to launch iSpring SDK has permissions to read it.

In case you still experience the problems we can schedule a remote assistance session to resolve it.

Profile profile test WWW www ICQ ICQ