Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:41 am   Post subject: Windows 2008 x64 + iSpring SDK + Office 2010 - will it work?

I'm trying to use a web application (ASP.NET) on Windows Server 2008 x64 with PowerPoint 2010.

My application says "Failed to open presentation <path_to_presentation>".

Conversion from PowerPoint and iSpringSDK.exe both work fine.

"asp.net" sample from the SDK shows more detailed error:

Code:
File C:\Windows\TEMP\pres.ppt uploaded successfully
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Failed to open presentation "C:\Windows\TEMP\pres.ppt" at iSpring.PresentationConverterClass.OpenPresentation(Object source) at ASP.simple_conversion_aspx.Convert(String strInFile, String strOutFile)
iSpring error: Failed to open presentation "C:\Windows\TEMP\pres.ppt"

What is installed:
* Windows Server 2008 x64
* IIS7 x64
* MS Office 2010 Pro x86
* iSpring Pro x86 5.6.1.2967
* iSpring SDK x64 5.6.1.2967

I guess I need to allow some user to access COM objects via Component Services management console (but I already did that for the user that runs IIS application pool).

Am I right, or those set of software is not supposed to work together at all?

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:58 pm   Post subject: Re: Windows 2008 x64 + iSpring SDK + Office 2010 - will it work?

Hi, thank you for using our forum.

I can suppose that the issue is caused by the following reason: there is a peculiarity of PowerPoint itself that a user who launches conversion must have "Desktop" folder in their system profile. This folder is missing in Windows Server 2008, so you have to create it at the following path:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Desktop (for 64 bit Windows)

Also please consider that the user account under which conversion is launched (NETWORK_SERVICE) must have reading privilege in this folder.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:54 am   Post subject: Re: Windows 2008 x64 + iSpring SDK + Office 2010 - will it work?

You posted a very helpful information. I could finally fix my challenge. Great work guys

Profile profile test