Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:38 pm   Post subject: Create swf's that will load onto an iPad?

I'm trying to get swf's created with ISpring SDK to load in to an iPad app I've created.

Some have said this can't happen because IOS doesn't allow the loading of swf's dynamically at runtime. Not true though. Apple doesn't allow loading of swf's that *contain executable ActionScript code*. I've verified this by examining the Adobe Connect product. It does PPT to swf conversion and its slides do indeed load and play on the iPad. The animations play too. Adobe's PPT to swf conversion is somehow producing swf's that contain no executable AS code that IOS might find objectionable.

I further verified by loading swf's produced by Connect into my iPad app dynamically from a remote server at runtime. They loaded and animations played fine.

I was wondering if the ISpring team had some insight as to whether I could tweak some settings in the ISpring SDK to produce similar results? Can I convert in such a way so as to eliminate anything IOS might find objectionable?

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:22 pm   Post subject: Re: Create swf's that will load onto an iPad?

I haven't heard of any eligible method to run .swf Flash Movies on iPads since iOS just doesn't support Adobe FlashPlayer technology. I don't know what exactly Adobe Connect does but probably it turns .swf to HTML5 or mp4 video somehow.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:08 am   Post subject: Re: Create swf's that will load onto an iPad?

My .swf Flash movies are playing on the iPad. IOS *does* support Flash swf's. It just doesn't support ActionScript code in them. If you include any it is ignored. So Flash swf's with animations in them are fine. They play beautifully. The only problem is the animations don't stop. They loop. This is because the AS stop() commands at the end of each animation are ignored. If I play my slides on a PC, they stop. On iPad the stop()'s are ignored.

I think a big product addition for ISpring will be in this area. We have enormous call for our ISpring generated presentations on the iPad. The conversion engine will just need to produce clean slides with no ActionScript in them. No player. Just clean individual slides. We developers will do the work of loading and navigating the slides in our iPad apps. Only problem to be solved is how to stop the slide animations without an explicit AS stop() command in each. Have to find another way.

I can see the option at the bottom alongside the others. "Individual Slides for IOS" it would read.

Let's develop a prototype. Use me as a guinea pig :) I'm ready to roll.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:54 pm   Post subject: Re: Create swf's that will load onto an iPad?

I guess that simple (linear) animation Flash movies could be easily saved as a video or even as the vector animated object, supported by mobile devices.
iSpring creates files entirely operated by ActionScript so it is hardly possible to have a tool that will convert AS3 code to HTML5.

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:55 pm   Post subject: Re: Create swf's that will load onto an iPad?

Not looking for HTML5. Not running in the browser on iPad. Running a native app. These native apps can load and run swf files. Only caveat is that the files can't contain executable ActionScript code. A tool that creates simple PPT/swf conversions minus all executable AS code is needed. As it is now I'm generating swf's with iSpring 6 and attempting to manually remove ActionScript code. No luck yet.

Just thought this would be a natural option to add to the product for people trying to write *native* (non-HTML) apps.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:39 pm   Post subject: Re: Create swf's that will load onto an iPad?

The issue is that if we exclude AS from Flash movies, they will be just static slides with no animations, clickable content, player navigation, etc. as if we convert to separate images. Thus I am afraid it in not possible to create a Flash movie without AS which would look exactly like the original PPT file.

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:57 pm   Post subject: Re: Create swf's that will load onto an iPad?

Apropos of nothing much, this article from a few weeks ago is typical of the html5 v. native app. tug o'war in progress. There does seem to be a lot of "special pleading", particularly on the native app. side.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/nov/03/will-html5-replace-native-apps Time will tell; but software developers are, wisely, hedging their bets.

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Create swf's that will load onto an iPad?

Quote:
The issue is that if we exclude AS from Flash movies, they will be just static slides with no animations, clickable content, player navigation, etc. as if we convert to separate images. Thus I am afraid it in not possible to create a Flash movie without AS which would look exactly like the original PPT file.

Yes and no. You've got animations, clickable content, and player navigation already covered in your product. Works great. Not asking you to do anything with them. I'm talking about an *additional option* that doesn't include any of those things. Even static swf's have value - scalability. My native iPad app, for instance, allows the user to re-size and re-position their slide show. Pictures do not scale. They distort and break up on re-size. Swf's scale much better - look sharper. I'm loading jpegs now on iPad and they look awful. I've been able to strip AS code out of converted slide swf's and successfully load them into my iPad app - they look a thousand times better as they are re-sized by the user. Workflow to strip AS is just unmanageable though. I can't have a programmer strip AS out of slides for every show we have out there (thousands). Need an automated process to simply produce clean boring static slides for iPad.

Additionally, I know for a fact that someone *IS* making Flash movies that play like the original PPT on iPad and I've mentioned them in this post - Adobe Connect. I have personally loaded a PPT into Connect and retrieved the resultant converted swf's and examined. Animations play. I have then loaded the Adobe Connect iPad app and it loads and plays those swf's like the original. Now they wrote the Flash player so they may be using tricks of which we are not aware. But I have seen it with my own eyes so I know it is possible.

I don't think iSpring should shift its focus and devote a mass effort to this. But I don't think it's required. It would take a minimal effort to add an "iPad" option that simply produces one swf per slide with no ActionScript code in them (hell you've got a thumbnail option already - those are static). Static swf's have got to be extremely simple to produce compared to the awesome task of producing the full fledged animated player versions you create within the product. The disclaimer for this particular option would read "animations, links, etc. won't work". Developers would get it. I know I could use it. I'm using jpegs now. They look awful.

I still use iSpring for my Flash PC app. Works really well. I'm just saying, SWF's with no AS would be a useful option for me for the iPad.

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:39 pm   Post subject: Re: Create swf's that will load onto an iPad?

Btwopointoh wrote:
Apropos of nothing much, this article from a few weeks ago is typical of the html5 v. native app. tug o'war in progress. There does seem to be a lot of "special pleading", particularly on the native app. side.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/nov/03/will-html5-replace-native-apps Time will tell; but software developers are, wisely, hedging their bets.

I have to hedge mine. No choice. Complex app. I remote control my iSpring slide show through rtmp connections to FMS. I also remote control my users views in their browsers - smoothly animating re-positioning and re-sizing components for them. When HTML5 can do that I'll consider changing.

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:09 am   Post subject: Re: Create swf's that will load onto an iPad?

We are also facing the same issue on ipad .
we are embedding swf created from iSpring SDK into adobe air app which run on ipad and getting error contain unexecutable ActionScript code.

then we created simple swf which contains simple action scripts and it works fine but the swf which is created from iSpring SDK throws error"unexecutable ActionScript code."

-ag

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:29 pm   Post subject: Re: Create swf's that will load onto an iPad?

iSpring SDK creates very complex ActionScript code that cannot be translated to iPad architecture by all means while simple AS commands possibly can be ported to iOS native format.

Please wait for PPT to HTML5 converter which is scheduled for this year. We will be glad to invite you into beta-testing and send you the first beta sample as soon as it is ready.

Profile profile test