Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:42 pm   Post subject: Turn off video coversion in publishing

We typically convert all of our videos to HTML5 compatible webm and mp4 as part of our authoring process.

It would certainly save us a lot of frustrating publishing time if we could simply publish without video conversion and then drop our own processed videos into the DATA folder.

Is this possible? Could it be made an option?

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Turn off video coversion in publishing

Thank you for your post.
Actually it's not possible since the presentation itself might not get linked to the video files so it can cause errors.
Could you please specify why it's frustrating for you to convert the video files?

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:22 pm   Post subject: Re: Turn off video coversion in publishing

Its frustrating because it currently takes 20 minutes to publish the project I am working on, which contains 10 videos. That is unacceptable, and compares very unfavorably with other tools available.

Even if I did not have the capability of converting the videos myself, and was reliant on the initial conversion to MP4 and WEBM, it is not efficient workflow design to have to convert the same videos EVERY time the document is published.

I understand the additional programming that will be required to make the conversions optional, vs. just embedding a link and placeholder. Or at the very least to check the destination for previous publishings instead of blindly wiping and re-copying. I know its not trivial work.

Perhaps building an alternate video import module instead of using PPTs' would be required to allow you more control over the process.

However, if someone places an already compliant MP4 into the content, there should ONLY be the conversion to the WebM version - unless the person is exporting at a different pixel dimension size. And once they publish, they should not have to go through the conversion process again.

That's the type of attention to real-world workflow that determines whether tools being evaluated get rolled out at the enterprise level, vs. just being added to individual developer's tool sets for occasional use.

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:17 pm   Post subject: Re: Turn off video coversion in publishing

I have forwarded your request to our product managers, so that they can consider to add this option to one of the next versions.

Profile profile test