Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:41 am   Post subject: PPS and PPSX files

As I consider getting the SDK to support my new customers, I find that may of them have PPS and PPSX files given to them by their companies. These files convert fine with iSpring Pro because we load them into Powerpoint first and then save them as PPT or PPTX first. But with the auto-conversion of the SDK the y don't work properly. They appear to convert but there is definitely something different internally. Is there any documentation describing what is different inside these formats after conversion with ispring?

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:36 pm   Post subject: Re: PPS and PPSX files

PPS and PPSX files are usually normally converted with iSpring SDK. Could you please explain what do you mean by "definitely something different" and "don't work properly" in more details?

Profile profile test WWW www ICQ ICQ

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:57 pm   Post subject: Re: PPS and PPSX files

What I mean is, when we convert using iSpring Pro, we display the sides with our actionscript that calls the code inside the slide to play the slide. We createInstance called 'slide' on the loaded swf then 'play' that slide. Is the same when using SDK in compound mode? It works when the source is a PPT or PPTX but not when it is a PPS or PPSX.

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:10 am   Post subject: Re: PPS and PPSX files

dougwo wrote:
What I mean is, when we convert using iSpring Pro, we display the sides with our actionscript that calls the code inside the slide to play the slide. We createInstance called 'slide' on the loaded swf then 'play' that slide. Is the same when using SDK in compound mode? It works when the source is a PPT or PPTX but not when it is a PPS or PPSX.

I would recommend you to send the simplest source code sample illustrating the problem to support @ ispringsolutions.com

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:46 am   Post subject: Re: PPS and PPSX files

Just for your information:

1. iSpring Pro generated presentations do not provide any public ActionScript API which means that you use non-documented features of the Flash presentations created with iSpring Pro. Thus, there is no guarantee that your application will be capable to control Flash content created with iSpring Presenter and iSpring SDK products in a same way.

2. There is no any documented API to control individual slide files created in Compound Presentation mode - there is only API for controlling the whole presentation (in solid and compound mode) and API for controlling individual slides (in standalone slides mode). Using direct access to the internal slide structure doesn't guarantee that you will be able to achieve desired results. Even if you will manage to do so, there is possibility that internal structure of the generated Flash presentations can be changed in future versions of our products and your code that uses non-documented features of Flash presentations may not work correctly.

We strictly recommend you to use the documented APIs only.

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:59 am   Post subject: Re: PPS and PPSX files

I understand but...

I need to send slide one at a time so I must have separate slides including audio and video and click-animation. If I use the SDK, what is the best way to do that? I need compound mode because I get an XML file that tells me where the stops in the animation are. I also need thumbnails. I prefer to use only the documented API. Is there a mode that will work best?

As far as this problem goes, the issue I have isn't that it works or not, it's that it is different for PPS and PPSx files. I'll try to get a sample file that demonstrates this.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:16 pm   Post subject: Re: PPS and PPSX files

dougwo wrote:
I understand but...

I need to send slide one at a time so I must have separate slides including audio and video and click-animation. If I use the SDK, what is the best way to do that? I need compound mode because I get an XML file that tells me where the stops in the animation are. I also need thumbnails. I prefer to use only the documented API. Is there a mode that will work best?

As far as this problem goes, the issue I have isn't that it works or not, it's that it is different for PPS and PPSx files. I'll try to get a sample file that demonstrates this.

iSpring SDK allows to convert the presentation into Standalon slides mode. Each generated slide will provide a documented ActionScript API
Samples illustrating this API can be found here:
C:\Program Files\iSpring\SDK\samples\client\samples\as2\slide-control
In version 4.3 this API will be extended with several extra interfaces (you can send us email request for beta version of you need one). With this API you don't have to worry about slide playback - it will be performed automatically.

Samples of PPS and PPSX files that illustrate the problem are appreciated.

Profile profile test

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:07 am   Post subject: Re: PPS and PPSX files

That interface looks fine Maria. But it is isn't clear whether it is possible to generate thumbnails. Is it?

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:09 am   Post subject: Re: PPS and PPSX files

dougwo wrote:
That interface looks fine Maria. But it is isn't clear whether it is possible to generate thumbnails. Is it?

You can use Slides interface to generate thumbnails for all slides

or Slide interface to generate thumbnails for individual slides

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:52 pm   Post subject: Re: PPS and PPSX files

Thanks Aleksey. Any way to get slide notes or slide titles with stand alone presentation mode? They aren't critical, btu those are the reasons I was using compound mode -- the XML files contains notes and slide titles.

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:21 am   Post subject: Re: PPS and PPSX files

You can set up iSpring SDK to create XML file containing information about presentation slides (including text, notes, titles, etc) during the convrsion process.
The XmlContentFile property of the Presentation Interface let you specify file name where to save such information in XML format. You can also do the same with -x command line option, or using the "Generate Presentation XML Description" option of in the Miscellaneous settings tab of the Code Builder application.

You can also extract the information about slide title, notes, and text using Slide interface properties (see my previous post) and store it in a way you like.