Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:44 pm   Post subject: How to reduce file sizes?

Hi!

I am trying out version 4.

Could you please give me any tips for reducing file sizes to the minimum. I have all the settings on small size but the upload time is still rather long. Are there any other tips for reducing file sizes?

Thanks in advance.

Deborah

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:50 am   Post subject: Re: How to reduce file sizes?

1. Minimize the usage of video objects in your Flash presentation. Video objects are the heaviest objects within the presentation
2. Set the Image compression quality to the minimum level (50-60)
3. Set the audio bitrate to the minimul level - 48-64 kbit/s (Use the Compression tab)
4. Uncheck the "Optimize images to screen resolution" option and define smaller slide size 400x300 (use the Advanced Tab)
5. Check the "All in one Flash file" option (General Tab)
6. Convert the presentation with the "None" player - more complicated players take more size.
7. Minimize the usage of high resolution images
8. Minimize the usage of long audio files
9. Make the first slide of the presentation lightweight - do not place there long sounds or video objects. The presentation will not start playing until its first slide is loaded. In my presentation I placed the "Loading..." label on the first slide while the second slide of the presentation contained quite heavy (3 megabytes) sound file.

Accept the fact that 80-90 kilobytes is the smallest size of the output Flash presentation even if your presentation doesn't contain any objects - even the "None" player takes about 66 kilobytes.

If your presentation contains one slide only you can convert it in "Standalone slides" mode (see the General tab). Since the slide player core is much simpler than the presentation player core you will be able to reach 25-30 kilobytes limit.

If you experience serious problems with the files of larger sizes (several megabytes, etc) you may send them to our support team (support [at] ispringsolutions [dot] com). Our support team will try to help you.

Profile profile test WWW www ICQ ICQ

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:39 am   Post subject: Re: How to reduce file sizes?

Hi Aleksey!

Thank you very much for those detailed tips. And for the link to your beautiful presentation. I had no idea you could do such things in Powerpoint!

I found that reducing the screen size to 400x300 significantly reduced the quality of the (gif) images and was not worth the 25kb file size saving. Also, having no presenter is a problem as navigation is needed.

My slides are part of a course for young children who do not have patience to sit and wait while the slides upload.

So my two slide PP's with a few images and animations are coming out at about 620kb which seems to take about 20 secs. to upload which doesn't sound like much but, for small children, it is.

Thanks for the tips - I will try to make lighter presentations in the future.

Would you say that version 4 produces the lighter slides than previous versions?

Thanks so much for your help.

Deborah

Profile profile test