Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:56 pm   Post subject: Flex LayoutManager error when loading ISpring generated swf

Console reads:

undefined
at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:668]
at Function/http://adobe.com/AS3/2006/builtin::apply()
at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher2()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8628]
at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8568]

Application compiles and runs fine if I comment out the line that loads the ISpring generated swf.

Posted to Flex forums and the response was:

"This might happen if you have incompatible versions. Only 3.2 or newer SWFs can load a 3.2 SWF."

I'm compiling my Flex app with Flex SDK verison 3.2. Are the swf's generated by the ISpring SDK 3.2 swf's?

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:34 pm   Post subject: Re: Flex LayoutManager error when loading ISpring generated swf

Seems only other forums have suggestions on this.

"If the presentation.swf is an AS3 SWF that uses older versions of LayoutManager it will be incompatible with your main application SWF. You could try to load it into its own ApplicationDomain. Try setting loadForCompatibility=true on the SWFLoader."

Unfortunately the PresentationContainer class doesn't expose any sort of compatibility adjustment settings so I'm not exactly sure where to go here. Flex SDK 3.2 layout manager seems incompatible with whatever the ISpring SDK is producing. Could someone on the ISpring team please chime in here and offer some suggestions?

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:46 pm   Post subject: Re: Flex LayoutManager error when loading ISpring generated swf

rexdtripod wrote:
Unfortunately the PresentationContainer class doesn't expose any sort of compatibility adjustment settings so I'm not exactly sure where to go here. Flex SDK 3.2 layout manager seems incompatible with whatever the ISpring SDK is producing. Could someone on the ISpring team please chime in here and offer some suggestions?

Please send the problematic Flex project to support[.at.]ispringsolutions[dot]com and describe the problem in details. We will research this issue and try to resolve the problem.

Just for the information. The PresentationContainer class is obsolete since iSpring SDK 4.2. It is left for the legacy code compatibility and should not be used in newer applications since it is not supported officially

Profile profile test WWW www ICQ ICQ

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:09 pm   Post subject: Re: Flex LayoutManager error when loading ISpring generated swf

I'm confused. If it is obsolete, why did you have me use it?

When I asked for the most current Flex integration practices recently you replied "Please take a look at the following flex samples illustrating a way you can control Flash presentations with the integrated AS3 connector:
"C:\Program Files\iSpring\SDK\samples\client\samples\as3\flex2".

sample3 in that folder is what I used. That example uses the PresentationContainer class.

What am I missing here?

If those sample projects are obsolete, where are the current sample projects?

I've also already sent a request to support and they did not respond. I can do so again but I'd really like an answer on the one I already sent.

Regarding the problematic Flex project, sample3 is it. It crashes the FlexBuilder debugger under the following conditions:

1. Load the sample3 project into FlexBuilder version 3.0 (build 3.0.2.214193)
2. Replace the sample presentation (swf) in the project with one generated by ISpring SDK 4.2.1
3. Run the project in "Debug" mode.

The debugger crashes with the following error message reported in the console window:

undefined
at mx.core::Application/layoutChrome()[C:\autobuild\galaga\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\Application.as:1108]
at mx.core::Container/updateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\galaga\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\Container.as:2910]
at mx.core::LayoutContainer/updateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\galaga\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\LayoutContainer.as:397]
at mx.core::Application/updateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\galaga\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\Application.as:940]
at mx.core::UIComponent/validateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\galaga\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:6351]
at mx.core::Container/validateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\galaga\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\Container.as:2720]
at mx.managers::LayoutManager/validateDisplayList()[C:\autobuild\galaga\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:622]
at mx.managers::LayoutManager/doPhasedInstantiation()[C:\autobuild\galaga\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\managers\LayoutManager.as:677]
at Function/http://adobe.com/AS3/2006/builtin::apply()
at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher2()[C:\autobuild\galaga\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8733]
at mx.core::UIComponent/callLaterDispatcher()[C:\autobuild\galaga\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:8673]

As I indicated in my previous posts on the matter, I'm not sure if it's a version compatibility issue or what. But replacing the project swf with one NEWLY generated with SDK 4.2.1 crashes the debugger.

I will send this to support@ispringsolutions.com as well.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Flex LayoutManager error when loading ISpring generated swf

Sorry for misunderstanding. I though that you are using PresentationContainer class from the obsolete samples that use AS3 bridge.

> I've also already sent a request to support and they did not respond. I can do so again but I'd really like an answer on the one I already sent

I am forwarding your problem to the development team. We will respond you as soon as the problem is resolved.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:58 pm   Post subject: Re: Flex LayoutManager error when loading ISpring generated swf

Thanks much.

Some further information to help them debug. I have two development machines here. One runs XP and the other Vista. On both machines the debugger crashes on IE ONLY. The crash does not occur in FireFox.

Browser version info:

XP machine
FireFox 3.5.5
IE 8.0.6001.18702

Vista machine
FireFox 3.5.5
IE 8.0.6001.18828

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:25 am   Post subject: Re: Flex LayoutManager error when loading ISpring generated swf

Dear redxtripod,

We have researched this issue. It is definitely not an issue of our Adobe Flex or Adobe Flash player. The crash happens when the loaded AS2 Movie uses _quality property of the MovieClip object.

Step 1 to reproduce the issue.
Create a simples AS2 file with Adobe Flash Studio which has the only line:

Code:
this._quality = "BEST"

and publish this Flash file into "QualityBug.swf" file.

Compile the following application with Flex. As you can see there is no iSpring-related code at all:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute" initialize="onInit()">
   <mx:Script>
      <![CDATA[
         import mx.core.UIComponent;
         import flash.display.Loader;
         import flash.net.URLRequest;

private function onInit():void
         {   
            var loader:Loader = new Loader;

var container:UIComponent = new UIComponent();
            container.addChild(loader);
            this.addChild(container);

var request:URLRequest = new URLRequest("QualityBug.swf");
            loader.load(request);
         }
      ]]>
   </mx:Script>

</mx:Application>

Launch this application in debug mode. The same crash. This means that issue is related to Adobe product family.

What can we suggest? We will try to report Adobe about this issue.
Since the issue happens only when debugging on IE we may recommend using other web browser for these purposes, for example Firefox until Adobe fix the problem with their product.

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:51 am   Post subject: Re: Flex LayoutManager error when loading ISpring generated swf

The issue has been reported to Adobe, you may vote for fixing it

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FB-24339

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:03 pm   Post subject: Re: Flex LayoutManager error when loading ISpring generated swf

Thanks much for looking into it.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:23 am   Post subject: Re: Flex LayoutManager error when loading ISpring generated swf

The issue has been moved by Adobe programmers to their SDK project and now is available here:
http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-24402

It seems that they work on it