Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:27 am   Post subject: weird error on video recording

While recording video, I get an error partway through the recording process that stops the recording and crashes the program. The error is in the form of a pop-up box that says "bad allocation."

What does that mean and how can I fix it?

Thanks for any help.

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:37 pm   Post subject: Re: weird error on video recording

Thank you for the post, David!
Most probably the issue is caused by the lack of memory on the computer.
Also, you're welcome to test out the full version of Screen recording which is a part of iSpring Suite 8:
http://www.ispringsolutions.com/ispring-suite

Profile profile test

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:12 am   Post subject: Re: weird error on video recording

Thank you for the response, Julia.

I think I may have figured it out. My computer, by the way, both the internal and external drive where I saved the video, have plenty of space.

If anyone else runs into this, they might try what I did.

In a nutshell, I think the "allocation" relates to the screen resolution or number of pixels. I think I set the resolution higher than what my computer can handle.

I lowered it and I still had the problem, but I think that's because the lower number hadn't taken effect yet. Future videos seemed to work fine. No more crashes or "bad allocation" warnings.

Relying strictly on memory, I think I set the resolution originally to 1080. I lowered it to 720. That, apparently, is an allocation.

It would help a lot if the developers/designers could put that warning into English instead of geekspeak. Who knows what an "allocation" is? Everyone knows what resolution is.

I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think so.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

-- David

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:17 am   Post subject: Re: weird error on video recording

Julia,

You're right. "Bad allocation" happened again. I'm fairly certain it's because of dwindling internal memory. I keep a program open (Photoshop Elements) that's a memory hog and keeps eating up memory when you use it.

I think it could also be the resolution issue.

Anyone who's using a memory-guzzling program could run into this problem.

By the way, where do I post praise for iSpring video? For anyone who wants a simple video recorder that poduces high-quality video, iSpring is the best I've used.

--David

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:09 pm   Post subject: Re: weird error on video recording

Dear David!
Sorry to hear that the issue still sometime occur!
That's totally correct that some specific computer configurations might cause the problem.

Thank you also for the kind words about iSpring!
You're more than welcome to share your feedback about the program on an independent website:
http://alternativeto.net/software/ispring-cam/reviews/

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:42 pm   Post subject: Re: weird error on video recording

I had the "bad allocation" warning yet again. This was after I boosted my memory and closed the program that was eating up memory.

I tried iSpring Suite, because you kept recommending it, and I didn't like it. I'm not a PowerPoint user and I don't make presentations.

I deleted all iSpring software, then re-installed iSpring Free Cam. I installed the latest version and downloaded it from the official site. I think I used CNet before. And it may not have been version 8.

The program seems to be working fine now, even with the memory-draining Photoshop Elements open.

I did a Google search on "bad allocation," both for iSpring and in general. It was of no help at all, other than to reinforce that "allocation" is a memory issue.

I wanted to be able to suggest a solution for anyone else encountering this problem, but I don't have a concrete answer.

My only suggestion is to try re-installing and to download the program from the iSpring site rather than a third party.

If I have no more problems, I'll try to recommend iSpring Free Cam on the site you suggested.

My only complaint is that exporting to video takes longer than I'd like, but the end result is worth the wait. Both the video and audio quality are first-rate and very professional. The absence of a watermark and a time limit are added and welcome bonuses.

Thanks for trying to help.

--David

Profile profile test