Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:02 pm   Post subject: Syncing slide with inserted SWF file - help!

Hi,

Searched the knowledge base and not finding an answer for this so here goes:

I have a movie file (swf) which is an interactive demo creating using Adobe Captivate. I inserted this into a slide, but the slide moves forward to the next slide before the student is done with the demo.

In your competitor's tool (Articulate '09) when you insert a movie file it asks if you want to sync up the movie with the slide and this prevents the lesson from moving to the next slide until the user is done with the demo. It then proceeds automatically.

I know in iSpring I can tell it to not advance to the next slide, but this forces the user to need to click the 'Next' button, and I was hoping to avoid having this extra step.

Anyway to do this in your product? I can't just add a long time to the a blank piece of audio because it is a demo and each student will take varying amounts of time.

Profile profile test

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:19 pm   Post subject: Re: Syncing slide with inserted SWF file - help!

Hello Jeffrey,

Thank you for your post!
Yes, you can set auto advancing in Presentation Explorer. At the same time you can set slide duration to match the demo length.

This way, users will not need click to go to the next slide and the current slide will match the demo timings.
Hope this helps!

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:10 am   Post subject: Re: Syncing slide with inserted SWF file - help!

Hi Vladimir,

Perhaps I didn't explain myself well enough:
1 - Our interactive demos do not have a FIXED time so we can not set a slide duration. As a software simulation, the student may take 2 mins or 5 mins to complete. All depends on their skill/knowledge.
2 - I have auto advance turned on at the moment, but that is a problem because the lesson moves on before the student is done working on the demo/simulation, so I need this turned off.

What Articulate provides is a way to sync the flash movie with the slide and the slide then has a variable length based on how long it takes the student to complete the tasks in the demo. When they complete the last action, the lesson automatically moves to the next slide without them having to click the "Next" button in the play-bar.

I can send you a screen shot of this Articualte feature if you like.

Appears my only option with your software is going to be to rebuild all of these interactive demos (quite a lot of work) and add a final section that instructs the student to click "Next" to continue to the next slide in the lesson - not an appealing 'work-around'!

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:46 pm   Post subject: Re: Syncing slide with inserted SWF file - help!

Hello Jeffrey,

Thank you for your prompt reply!
Unfortunately, this kind if synchronization is not available in iSpring authoring tools. I also regret to say that we do not work on this, and it is not on our roadmap.

I believe Articulate emulates this feature in their standalone editors (i.e. StoryLine or Articulate 360), as PowerPoint allows to integrate external variables only in VBA. These variables are not preserved during the conversion process of iSpring, as these variables work only in VBA.

Profile profile test

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:56 pm   Post subject: Re: Syncing slide with inserted SWF file - help!

OK - thanks. I'll go in and add some direction to the end of each demo to instruct the student to click the ?Next? button.

Profile profile test