Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:07 am   Post subject: PowerPoint 2016 closed captions

PowerPoint 2016 allows adding closed captions (vtt format) to a video inserted into the slide. Is there a way how to keep this closed captions synchronized and functional after publishing the presentation into a SCORM and xAPI package?
It is quite essential for compliance with ADA.
Thanks.

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:35 am   Post subject: Re: PowerPoint 2016 closed captions

Hello Petr,

Thank you for your post!

PowerPoint notes can be seen in the side panel (Outline) and as closed captions.
To change the notes appearance, go Publish >> Customize (under General) >> Layout:

Profile profile test

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:22 pm   Post subject: Re: PowerPoint 2016 closed captions

Thank you, Vladimir, but what I mean by closed captions are subtitles = synchonized transcription for the video which I believe is now a required standard for assuring the ADA / WCAG compliance . Notes are not the same. Imagine that I insert a 5 minutes interview video into a slide - that would be a hell long note to scroll down (or on side).

I have found one workaround from University of Wisconsin Whitewater, for iSpring 7, but can't make it work either :(
https://spaces.uww.edu/display/instruct ... esentation

if you can help, I would really appreciate it.
Petr

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:07 am   Post subject: Re: PowerPoint 2016 closed captions

Hello Petr,

Sorry to hear that!
I cannot assist you with third-party options.

The instruction shows that it works only with MS Office 2010.
Please make sure that you are using this version and follow the instruction.

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:37 pm   Post subject: Re: PowerPoint 2016 closed captions

Thank you Vladimir, but that is not my point either.
My question is: Is there a way to have synchronized closed captions with video in PPT published as SCORM package using iSpring?

When I add synchronized closed captions (vtt file) to video in inserted in PowerPoint 2016, these captions disappear when I publish the course using iSpring.

If that doesn't work now, are you guys working to enable that in next iSpring version?
thanks Petr

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:06 pm   Post subject: Re: PowerPoint 2016 closed captions

Hello Petr,

To better assist you, please reach out to me at support@ispringsolutions.com.
Please do not forget to indicate the license you are working with.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Profile profile test

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:30 pm   Post subject: Re: PowerPoint 2016 closed captions

Hello Petr,

Did you find a workaround?

I am also looking for a way to synchronize closed captions with a video in a PPT published as SCORM package.

Thanks

Profile profile test

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:51 pm   Post subject: Re: PowerPoint 2016 closed captions

Hi maximecpro,
nope, not an easy one. I have produced all the modules as MP4 and then implemented closed captions (and some interactions) using H5P which is enabled in the LMS I am using.
But the fact that iSpring doesn't address compliance with ADA is a serious concern for us. If the version 9 doesn't bring any change in this area (QuizMaker also didn't produce accessible tests and quizzes) we will have to move to another authoring software.

Profile profile test